- 5G-AURA: An Horizon 2010 MCSA ITN, examining options for 5G. York Principal Investigator for this multi-partner project. October 2015 - September 2019.
- GREENBACK: A project examining 5G Backhaul/Fronthaul options, funded by Huawei, Sweden. Principal Investigator. January 2015 - July 2016.
- NetCom: A 3 year EPSRC funded project that started September 2013,
that will investigate the use of physical layer network coding for
future wireless systems. Co-Investigator, with responsibility for the development of a MAC
layer for such systems along with system level performance.
- FP7 ABSOLUTE: Aerial Base Stations with Opportunistic Links for Unexpected & Temporary Events. October 2012 - September 2015. York PI, Looking at applying cognitive techniques to spectrum and topology management in rapidly changing networks of LTE-A nodes.
- FP7 BuNGee: Broadband Next Generation Access. A European project that is looking at use of cooperative MIMO and cognitive radio, capable of creating self-organising backhaul networks. January 2010 - June 2012.
- MOD Competition of Ideas Project 'Cognitive Routing for Tactical Ad Hoc Networks'.
Principal Investigator for the project that is looking at cognitive
radio and cognitive networking aspects. October 2007 - September 2008.
Use of Licensed Exempt Spectrum for frequencies above 30GHz (Ofcom).
Consortium based project that includes: Quotient Associates and
Indepen. The activity took place August-September 2006.
researcher for NEWCOM an FP6 Network of Excellence. I take part in the
Department A activities on Ad Hoc Networks. The 18-month activity
commenced in March 2004.
- Spectral efficiency and system
capacity evaluation of ad hoc and cellular communications networks
which use MIMO (Radio Communications Agency). Consortium based project
that includes University of Bristol, BTexact, Toshiba, and York EMC
Services. The project took place May 2003 - March 2004.
- FLOWS -
A European Framework 5 project ( January 2002 - December 2004)
examining 4th Generation communications networks. I was part of the
team evaluating the convergence benefits of different architectures and
broadband standards in different usage scenarios. I acted as day-to-day
project manager for York's aspects.
- Distributed Dynamic Channel
Assignment for Tactical Communications (DERA) - project over 4 years,
examining DCA techniques for future military multimedia communications.
Schemes extensively modelled in both OPNET and MATLAB.
- FP7 ABSOLUTE: Aerial Base Stations with Opportunistic Links for Unexpected &
Temporary Events. October 2012 - September 2015. Investing most viable aerial platform solutions and contributing to business models (see also above).
- Principal Scientific Officer for the 3-year FP6 CAPANINA
Project that started in November 2003. Responsible for the project's
technical programme. The project is investigating broadband delivery
from several types of aerial platform network. The project had 14
industrial/academic partners spread across 7 European countries and
Japan. CAPANINA was the follow-on to the Framework 5 HeliNet Project
- USEHAAS - FP6 Specific Support Action to determine
the research strategy for future aeronautical development of high
altitude platforms. The 18-month project commenced in March 2005.
- COST 297 - on High Altitude Platforms and Other Services - Chair of WG1 Radio Communications. This 4-year activity commenced in 2005.
project supported by BNSC (with SkyLARC Technologies and BTexact)
looking at the implications of V-band on HAP systems that was completed
in July 2003. This work included evaluating the spectral efficiency of
multiple platform configurations.
- The European Framework 5
project HeliNet (January 2000 - March 2003), where I acted as project
manager for the broadband communications aspects. The research included
system level design tradeoffs and resource allocation strategies in
providing multimedia services to urban users in the mm-wave bands.
Modelling for Land Mobile Radio (DERA) - ray tracing techniques to
model propagation in urban areas. Examined the effect of database
inaccuracies on output results.
- Clock Recovery for Giga-Bit
LANs (British Aerospace) - advised on the most appropriate techniques
for passive star fibre LANs.